Dark Closet? No ! Take Care of Your Clothes !
As in all other spaces, lighting in closets serves double; it creates functionality and enhances the décor.
You can choose from a variety of options to meet your needs and taste; opt for fixtures that match the closet design and work well with its size.
Consider these tips:
- If feasible, consider adding a window as it will provide natural light for a feeling of spaciousness and style.
- Opt for bulbs that emit brighter light and do not generate much heat, such as fluorescent and LED bulbs.
- Go green and use solar tubes; their surface reflects sunlight into the closet for a visually appealing space.
- Closets are full of flammable items and safety should be your priority; make sure that the bulbs are fully enclosed with glass globes to avoid the risk of fire.
- De-clutter the space and keep it well organised to allow lighting spread throughout the space; go vertical and incorporate coloured containers to create a vibrant, visually appealing space.
- Add a full-length mirror on the back of the door or on a side of the closet for both functionality and a feeling of an airy, spacious place.
- Add details; a carpet, a place to sit, or a wood armoire that complement the décor are great options to embellish and personalise the space.
Battery-operated lights are a smart choice for small closets. They come in an assortment of options, such as wall and ceiling mounted fixtures. Consider attaching fixtures to the shelves for extra light and a better display of items. Opt for LED sensor lights, a perfect energy-saving option for closet lighting. All these fixtures provide task lighting that helps find items you need.
You can choose from different options for larger closets; keep in mind that a single hanging fixture cannot provide adequate lighting.
Recessed fixtures work well in larger closets; installed in the walls or ceiling, they emit ample light to illuminate the space.
Pendants are a good option for spaces with high ceilings; they not only offer adequate lighting, but also enhance the décor of the space adding a touch of style and elegance. Cove lighting is an alternative for high ceiling closets. Indirect lighting to a cove or a soffit definitely beautifies the space and brings a feeling of charm and sophistication.
For large walk-in closets, try with chandeliers. They provide sufficient lighting and become focal points of the space that personalise it; furthermore, chandeliers add a touch of drama, luxury, and glamour to the décor.
To summarise, keep your closet well organised and adequately lit; this is essential for creating an attractive and functional space.